Storm Shelter Bed Features
The Vortex Vault Shelter Bed has been certified by the Texas Tech Wind Institute with a EF5 rating. The video includes the testing completed by Texas Tech. Wind scientists at Texas Tech’s National Wind Institute pioneered work in above ground storm shelters. Beginning in 1974, researchers developed the first “safe rooms” that could be built into a closet. Texas Tech’s shelter work led to the development of specific criteria for constructing above ground shelters that are endorsed by FEMA. Texas Tech also was instrumental in the formation of the National Storm Shelter Association to ensure the highest quality storm shelters to protect people against tornadoes and hurricanes.
Standard Bed When Down
When the bed is in the down position, the shelter is completely hidden from view, taking up no additional space in your home. Decorate as you see fit!
Quick Access When Down
The shelter can be accessed in the down position by opening up the doors. Allows quick access in case of a surprise storm or home invasion.
Lift to Deploy Shelter
The heavy scissor lift mechanism raises the shelter by a hand control up to a height of 57 inches allowing the full-size shelter right in your bedroom!
Fully Deployed Shelter
When full deployed, the doors open up for quick access during a storm. Many people choose to fully deploy shelter on days when severe weather is expected.
Doors to Access
Each section of the deployable shelter has a door to access with quick opening latches that can be accessed from outside or inside for ultimate safety.
Accomodates Mulitple People
The shelter bed allows for multiple people to take shelter during a storm. Benches or seating can be used for a comfortable environment.
Our safe room is great for those with limited mobility to easily access with the 57" height opening. No need to leave house or go underground.
Heavy Duty Locks
The heavy duty latches lock in place from inside ensuring quick access in and out of shelter. It can be locked from inside for panic situations.
All Bed Sizes Available
The storm shelter bed comes in traditional bed sizes including twin, full, queen and king. The larger the bed size, the more people it can accommodate.
Withstands Large Impacts
The storm shelter can withstand the largest impacts on the side or on top. Tested to withstand the impact of an EF5 tornado and flying debris such as cars.
Deployable Above Ground Shelter
Once deployed, the shelter bed acts as any other above ground safe room, protecting you from the fury of the most violent storms.
Anchored to Slab
The shelter is anchored to the concrete foundation of a home or building and is built to FEMA guidelines lie any other above ground shelter.
Vents are included in every bed to ensure adequate circulation of air, even if one has been trapped from debris from a storm.
Headboard and Footboard
The shelter bed can be outfitted with any headboard or footboard of your choice to match your home decor. A storm shelter with style!
If power is lost to a home, the bed can still be deployed by the included back up battery system which can move the bed up and down up to 40 times on one charge.
The bed includes a USB charger inside to charge any mobile device, even without power to the home via the back up battery.
- All shelters have been and will be certified by Texas wind institute for the EF5 rating
- All designs are Patent Pending
- Shelter operated by 12VDC Battery to provide power when electricity is off, Battery will becharged by a 120 V AC Charger
- USB Charging plug ins
- Shelter doors can be opened in the up or down position to provide quick access for storage or emergency
- King, Queen, Full, and Twin size shelters will be offered as standard products.Custom sizes/styles will be available upon request.
- Down Position Height: 19”. Up position Height: 57”.
- Heights can be modified upon request
- Raise and lower time is roughly 1 minute 20 seconds. Faster times will be available for raising the shelter in the near future
- Installation time will be roughly 3 hours for a 2 man crew.
- Units can be completely assembled on site and carried in 1 piece at a time to allow installation where typical units cannot go
- Optional 120 V AC plug ins and USB Plug Ins
- Optional HVAC Duct hook up to provide cool air from home cooling unit
- Optional fan to provide fresh external airOptional Fire Board to provide fire protection for valuables during a house fire
- Optional Safe lock to provide increased security for valuables
- Optional Gun Racks, Document and valuables storage compartments
- Optional Panic button to be tied into home alarm system
- Optional bullet resistant plate and fully welded design to provide increased securityOptional cabinets, drawers, countertops, table tops, etc. can be custom designed and installed on top of the shelter.
- Custom designs for kitchen islands, dining room tables, conference room tables, etc available upon request.
- All standard colors are available, custom colors, wood finishing, vinyl stickers will be available